As you plan your visit to Pembrokeshire, you might wish to do your bit in preserving its natural wonders. One significant way to contribute is with a good beach clean. Pembrokeshire’s pristine beaches are not only for us to enjoy but also crucial ecosystems for marine life. Engaging in beach cleans is a powerful way to help protect this environment, as it helps remove harmful debris and preserves the natural beauty of the area. Here’s our guide to help you get started!
Do Your Own Beach Clean
Carrying out your own beach clean is a rewarding experience that allows you to make a direct impact. You can of course do little and often throughout your stay, simply taking a container with you on your adventures. If you would like to carry out a more thorough beach clean, here’s a step-by-step guide to get you started.
- Plan and Prepare – Choose a beach or stretch of coastline you wish to clean. Research the tide times to ensure your efforts are most effective when the tide is low. Gather some essential items such as gloves, sturdy bags, and litter pickers if available.
- Take Safety Precautions – While beach cleaning is a fulfilling activity, it’s essential to prioritize safety. Wear appropriate clothing, including sturdy footwear and protective gloves. Stay aware of your surroundings and watch out for potentially hazardous objects.
- Sort and Dispose of Litter – Separate the collected litter into recyclable and non-recyclable categories. If designated bins are available, dispose of the waste accordingly. If not, take the collected rubbish with you and dispose of it responsibly later.
Join an Organised Event
Pembrokeshire is known for its vibrant community spirit, and joining organised beach clean events can be a fantastic way to meet like-minded individuals and make a greater impact. Keep an eye out for local initiatives and community groups like Eco Dewi that regularly host beach clean events. These events often provide the necessary equipment and guidance to ensure a successful and enjoyable experience.
Look After the Coastal Environment on Holiday
Beyond participating in beach cleans, you can adopt mindful practices during your stay to protect Pembrokeshire’s coastal environment:
- Reduce Single-Use Plastics – Carry a reusable water bottle, cloth bags, and a reusable coffee cup to minimize plastic waste.
- Respect Wildlife – Observe wildlife from a safe distance and avoid disturbing nesting birds or seals.
- Dispose of Rubbish Properly – Use designated bins and recycling facilities provided along the coastline. If none are available, take your rubbish with you.
- Follow Coastal Access Guidelines – Pay attention to signs around access to beaches, cliffs, and sensitive areas. These guidelines are in place to protect both visitors and the environment.
By carrying out your own beach clean or joining organised events, you can actively contribute to preserving the pristine beauty of this remarkable coastline. When we all do our bit, we can help to look after the breathtaking wonders of Pembrokeshire’s beaches.